Gene M. Garner II
Gene M. Garner II is a partner with the Washington, D.C. law firm of Staas & Halsey LLP. He is experienced in virtually all aspects of patent preparation and prosecution in the electrical arts, computer arts, and mechanical arts.
More particularly, Mr. Garner has prepared and/or prosecuted patent applications in computer hardware and software, electronic commerce, networking and telecommunications, computer graphics, medical equipment, data storage, semiconductors and testing equipment, image forming apparatuses, and home appliances. In addition, he has prepared and presented patentability, validity, and infringement studies in the electrical and mechanical arts.
Mr. Garner has prepared and presented seminars and lectures on various intellectual property topics to corporate groups, professional organizations, and university-sponsored conferences in the U.S, Asia and Europe.
Prior to practicing law, Mr. Garner was an engineer designing and developing semiconductors, telecommunications equipment, computer software, and computer systems.
In addition to his law degree from the University of Maryland, Mr. Garner holds Master’s degree in electrical engineering from Cornell University, and a Master’s degree in Biotechnology from Johns Hopkins University. He also holds a Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from the University of Maryland where he was President of Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society.
Mr. Garner is admitted to the Bars of Maryland and the District of Columbia, as well as to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and holds memberships in various professional organizations. Mr. Garner’s hobbies include travel and sports.
Webinars / Seminars Taught
- “To Infinity and Beyond – Patenting Technologies of the Future”, Global IP Exchange, November 13-14, 2019 (San Diego, CA) & March 13-14, 2019 (Berlin, Germany, co-presenter with Richard Gollhofer)
- “Alice in Software-land: A View Through the Looking Glass”, Global IP Exchange, March 13-14, 2018 (Berlin, Germany, co-presenter with Richard Gollhofer)
- “Alice in Software-land – Maximizing Quality of Software Patent Claim Drafting with a View through the Looking Glass”, Global IP Exchange, December 6-7, 2017 (San Diego, CA)
- “Legal Issues Concerning Information Gathering…From a Patent Perspective…”, 8th Hawaii Conference, Seoul National University and Berkeley Center for Law & Technology, February 2013 (Honolulu, Hawaii)
- “Idea Submission: Emerging Law and Policy Issues in the Entertainment Industry”, 7th Hawaii Conference, Seoul National University and Berkeley Center for Law & Technology, February 2012 (Honolulu, Hawaii)
- “Trends in Intellectual Property Law Through the Eyes of U.S. Counsel: Patent Procurement and Litigation Trends, and Proposed Reforms”, 2008 Seoul Intellectual Property International Conference, AIPPI-LES, October 25, 2008 (Seoul, Korea)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Prince Georges County Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers Computer Society
- Tau Beta Pi
- Eta Kappa Nu